The plah and the pandering

7 Responses to “The plah and the pandering”

Comments

1. Marta says:

Isn’t “all y’all” a plural form of something? Oh, wait. Is that only in Texas?

I just have to assume that the poor senator must have experienced a traumatic and confusing bilingual moment in his childhood and is just trying to spare others his pain. =D

Por favor!

2. Chantel says:

How about the ubiquitous “what all” as in, “I don’t know what all y’all are saying when you speak Mexican like that.”

Also, I don’t like “chill bumps” used in place of “goose bumps” or just plain “chills.” Nor do I like parking garages renamed “decks.”

No se. No me gusta.

3. Dayngr says:

The problem is most likely that people are speaking spanish @ work and not all employees or bosses speak spanish – that makes people feel left out or possibly uncomfortable. If the company doesn’t do the majority of its business in spanish I don’t see a problem.

4. class factotum says:

I don’t have a problem with official government business (like voting, school registration , and driver’s license applications) being conducted only in English; but I don’t want the government regulating what private businesses do. There is enough regulation already. None of the gummint’s bidness what language people speak at work.

5. The Hen says:

I have to say, this is a bad way to discuss topics like this…no face time…but, I would say I agree that in cases of personal safety, public safety, jobs where communication is required for productivity (like assembly lines, maybe?), then OK, please let’s all habla ingles. But, what gets me is that in one of the cases mentioned, the boss threatened his people with a knife and well, if English is such a priority for the job, well then, hire an English-speaker and keep the blade to yourself. And, please don’t tell me I can’t speak Spanish, Hindi, Lao, or whatever to my co-worker in the break room or at the water cooler. (Oscar and I would have been fired, for sure!)
    I just can’t help but smell this as ugly and politically motivated. ‘Tis the season, no?

6. MuPu says:

Once we eliminate the use/usage/utilization of foreign languages in America, we should proceed to the systematic redacting of all foreignisms contained in our own English. Quite a few of these have crept in over the centuries and have become accepted as part of the language, when they should not be.

Removing all of these formerly foreign words from our language will give us a much more streamlined system of communication, like animals have used to good effect for as long as I can remember.

About Marta’s comment: “All y’all” is unacceptable slang. The plural of “you” is “y’all,” and the pluplural periphrastic of “y’all” is “all o’ y’all.”

7. The Hen says:

MuPu, LOL…poor Taco Bell, that great American institution, will have to rename.