Nashville voters reject English-Only

8 Responses to “Nashville voters reject English-Only”

Comments

1. Karen says:

I saw a couple of tweets about it and came over to see what you had written. Good news! :)

2. Tanja says:

It is fabulous news. Thanks for speaking out so loudly and beautifully against it, Carrie!

3. Melek says:

Congratulations Carrie!

I know you worked very hard on this.

Maybe now, you can encourage the creation of some type of non-profit translation/interpretation service organization where all those qualified to interprest/translate in Arabic, French, Spanish, Chinese, etc. can volunteer their services, so that there’s no longer an excuse of government cost ($$$$) on behalf of those who were for “English Only” …

I think I read somewhere that it costs more than $100,000/year to the local government to pay for interpreters … if that money is no longer needed for translation purposes,they can redirect all that funds to other much needed community programs, etc.

I wish you well :) Melek

“No man has a right in America to treat any other man “tolerantly” for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. Our liberties are equal rights of every citizen.” ~ Wendell L. Willkie

4. Cassy says:

Yeah! Alright! And we move forward!

5. Marta says:

Carrie,

I think you should start calling yourself “The Voice of Nashville.”

Congratulations! It’s a victory for all of us.

Besos,
    Marta

6. Carrie-in-TN says:

It’s a shiny, happy time in Nashville, for sure.

Melek, there already is a wonderful non-profit language service here, but maybe the English-Only folks can further run with the idea.
    Me, I am resting from political involvement until the next big boberia.

7. Laura Feo-Fernández says:

i kinda found it interesting that out of 600,000 people only about 80,000 or so actually cared enough to vote period…hrrmmmm…kinda shows what a “big deal” this was. way to waste $350K, crap-ton!

8. Keen says:

Just dropping by to say, that is GREAT news. These initiatives never make any sense to me and are purely exclusionary.

¡Felicidades! for all your hard work, too.