I have no idea what a chalupa is or We’re not all the same

13 Responses to “I have no idea what a chalupa is or We’re not all the same”

Comments

1. Carla (MamaHeartsBaby) says:

I can totally relate. I told a co-worker once I was craving some good ole Cuban food. To which he informed me about his great lunch at the new Mexican restaurant in town (chimichanga goodness he exclaimed). He also was sure to mention how great and spicy everything was. When will folks get it?

2. Ana L. Flores says:

Funny commercial! Thanks for posting it because I hardly get TV time anymore.
    I’m from El Salvador and it gets on my nerves when people tell me “You don’t look like you’re Salvadorean.”
    Huh? What is that supposed to mean? I didn’t know we had a “look” going for us.

3. John Lamb says:

It’s funny that you mention chalupa! At our wedding reception, the topic of conversation somehow turned to chalupas, at which point a friend casually said to my Chilean bride, “I guess your Mom must make chalupas.” She gave him a hard time about it – in fun – but now my wife’s nickname for this friend is Chalupa.

4. evenshine says:

We have a family friend who, whenever conversing with my husband, feels the overwhelming urge to discuss (derogatorily) all the Mexican “hoodlums” that ride his bus in the mornings. My (very patient)husband is from Colombia. The ad definitely resonated with HIM!

5. Tamara B. says:

Love your blog and the nam Came over from spanglishbaby blog to say hi!

6. class-factotum says:

I worked in Miami for a company that sold a product in Latin America. They used one marketing brochure for the entire region. There was a part of the product described as the “pico.” (The brochure had been translated in Iowa. IOWA.) I was the only person in the office who had worked in Chile. I asked my boss if he was aware that in Chile, where we sold the product, that “pico” was slang for “penis.” Nope. I guess he wasn’t.

7. Tough Mama says:

One of my students this week said that she mistakenly asked a Puerto Rican friend what part of Mexico he was from. Some have to learn things the hard way, but some DO learn eventually.

8. Sandrita says:

Don’t worry, I’m Mexican and I never heard of a chalupa until Taco Bell came up with a commercial for it. Since TB is not really Mexican food, I’m still not quite sure what it is as I’ve never really had one.

9. Carrie-in-TN says:

I am glad you guys are getting a kick out of the commercial(s). They’re pretty spot-on.
    My amiga Tough Mama, hurray for the truth that some of us do learn. Please note, I find humor in it and frustration only when I encounter insistence that I am wrong, like what kind of Hispanic are you that you can’t tell me what a chalupa is…or like when an editor could not get that I, in Cuban-speak, said hierba for grass and my Mexican-American co-worker used a word I can’t even remember and said it was Aztec in origin. The look we got was that it was just all too complicated and plain wrong.

And so not unlike when people from “the big city” come to Nashville and are shocked we’re not all in cowboy hats and shit kickers.

Ah, life is fun…

10. Carrie-in-TN says:

Oh, and @class-factotum, I had a great laugh with an Argentinian friend who told me a mutal Cuban friend uses the word "cojer'' for "get" but that to many Latin Americans it means "to get some.'' The Cuban friend works with some local immigrants and she is always telling them to "cojer'' this and "cojer'' that.

And, that one of the words in our tee line "Chichi & Flaco'' means boobies to some Latins…I didn't know that until after we named it. For Cuban's it is a nickname. LOL.

11. Laura Feo-Fernández says:

The cojer story reminded me of my husband’s story.
    My husband and two friends (all pianists, all from Havana) were in Caracas for the Teresa Carreño piano competition. They were trying to find a bus stop, and they saw a boy of about 9 or 10. They asked him where they could “cojer” the bus. Without missing a beat, he said “only if you grab it by the muffler.”

12. class-factotum says:

How about the Brazilian singer a few years ago named “Xuxa?” The Brazilians pronounce “X” as “ch.” A soft “ch,” but a “ch” nonetheless. :)

13. Lisa Renata says:

Heck, I am Mexican-American (and lots of other things in between) and I don’t know what a Chalupa is either!!